The NHSRA Crisis Fund
The National High School Rodeo Association established the NHSRA Crisis Fund in 1996, with benefits since inception calculated at $204,307.18. The purpose of the fund is to provide financial assistance to offset the costs associated with an injury or death sustained by an NHSRA member at a sanctioned high school rodeo or while traveling to or from a high school rodeo. Below are details and information about the fund.
NHSRA CRISIS FUND PREAMBLE
The National High School Rodeo Association (NHSRA) has as its charitable and
educational purpose the promotion of high school rodeo on a national scale for eligible
high school students. It is the purpose of the NHSRA to promote the highest type of
conduct and sportsmanship at sponsored and sanctioned rodeo events and to encourage
participants in this sporting event.
The Board finds that the purpose of the NHSRA will be furthered by the establishment of
a “crisis fund” to assist in selected cases when a crisis may occur after an injury.
Therefore, a segregated fund to be known as the NHSRA Crisis Fund (the Crisis Fund) is
hereby established under the following terms, conditions, limitations and restrictions.
In order to be eligible for a discretionary grant from the Crisis Fund, an applicant must
meet and fulfill the following conditions:
1. Be a member in good standing of NHSRA, having fully paid his or her dues and rodeo
event entry fees.
2. The injury or death for which a grant is requested from the Crisis Fund must have
occurred during an NHSRA sanctioned event or in immediate and direct transportation
from the participant’s home to such rodeo event or from such rodeo event to the
3. The applicant must not be in violation of any NHSRA rules or regulations at the time
of such injury or death.
4. The applicant must be a member in good standing of the applicant’s state or province
high school rodeo association which association must be fully affiliated with the NHSRA.
A grant requested by the applicant or the applicant’s representative must be for but not
5. Medical expense incurred for treatment by a medical doctor, dentist, doctor of
osteopathy, chiropractor, registered nurse or a licensed therapist.
6. Hospital expenses incurred in a recognized licensed hospital.
7. Transportation expense incurred for a deceased participant from the location of the
rodeo event to the home of the deceased.
8. Funeral expenses for a deceased participant when the death was the result of an injury
or accident that occurred during an NHSRA sanctioned event or in immediate and direct
transportation from the participant’s home to such rodeo event or from such rodeo event
to the participant’s home.
9. In the event of a death or life threatening injury to a family member that occurs while
the contestant is at a State or National Finals Rodeo that requires unplanned travel, they
could be eligible for up to $1,500.00 maximum for travel related to the event.
Contributions, donations and memorials to the fund are greatly appreciated and are tax-deductible. Contributions should be made payable to the NHSRA Crisis Fund and sent to the NHSRA, 12011 Tejon, Suite 900, Denver, CO 80234.
National Finals Crisis Fund Basket Information
For additional information on the NHSRA Crisis Fund application process and criteria for payments, please contact the NHSRA National Headquarters at: email@example.com